Application for FEE-HELP Loan (NU)

Only certain citizenship statuses are eligible to apply for FEE-HELP. To find out if you are eligible,
please select your current citizenship status from the option(s) provided below.

Is your visa a permanent humanitarian visa? And will you be resident in Australia for the duration of the
unit(s) of study for which you are applying for FEE-HELP?

New Zealand citizens who have been long-term residents of Australia since childhood can now apply for FEE-HELP if they meet certain criteria.

  • You first entered Australia as a child under 18 years of age and at that time you did not have a spouse or de facto partner;
  • You meet the residency requirements:
    • first started to be generally living as a resident in Australia at least 10 years before the test day;1
    • have been in Australia for at least:
      • a total of 8 out of the 10 years immediately before the test day;
      • a total of 18 months out of the two years immediately before the test day; and
  • You are otherwise eligible for FEE-HELP.

1For the purposes of this form, ’test day‘ means the first day you successfully applied for a HELP loan as an eligible NZ SCV holder for a unit that forms part of the same course of study. If you have not previously applied for a HELP loan for a unit that forms part of your course of study then the ’test day‘ is the date you submit this form.

You are eligible to apply for FEE-HELP!

You MUST read the FEE-HELP Information booklet before completing this form. Also, for this application to be processed, the information that you provide on the form below must be identical to what you stated on your enrolment form.

* - denotes a required field.

Your personal details

Your contact details

Your course & campus details

Griffith College
Census Date:

Tax File Number (TFN)

To be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan, you MUST supply your valid TFN or your Certificate of Application for a TFN In this section. By providing your TFN on this form, you are requesting a loan from the Government for the tuition fees for the unit(s) in your course outstanding at the census date and to use the amount to pay your provider on your behalf.

The Department and your provider are authorised under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (the Act). To collect and retain your TFN only for the purpose of reporting details of your FEE-HELP loan to the Australian Taxation Ofllce (ATO). Privacy and taxation laws protect your TFN information. There may be severe penalties if these laws are broken. If you want to use a FEE-HELP loan to pay for your study, you must meet the TFN requirements. This is because repayment on your HELP debt are made through the Australian taxation system.

Declining to quote your TFN Is not an offence. However, you will not be able to get a FEE-HELP loan for the amount of your tuition fee that remains unpaid on the census date unless you give Griffith College, on or before that date, either your TFN or the certificate from the ATO stating you have applied for a TFN.

To be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan, your TFN and personal information provided in this form needs to be verified with the ATO. If, by the units census date, your information is not assessed as correct, your application will not be finalised and you will be inellgible for a FEE-HELF loan.

Note: TFNs are usually provided within 28 days of application. It is essential that you apply early to make sure you have your TFN on or before the census date. For more information on requesting TFN visit (

Select an option below

Please supply Certificate of Application for a TFN as part of the required documents below.

Required Documents

Depending on your citizenship status, some documentation is required to verify your details.

  • Australian citizens please upload a copy of your Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate, or Australian Citizenship Certificate.
  • New Zealand citizens please a upload copy of your New Zealand Passport and International Movement Record (available from
  • For Humanitarian Visa holders please upload a copy of your passport, visas and any other documentation that supports your FEE-HELP entitlement.

Please merge requested documents into one PDF file and upload below.

Your Obligations

  • I understand, over my lifetime, the amount of FEE-HELP assistance AND VET FEE-HELP assistance that I access must not exceed the FEE-HELP limit.
  • I have read the FEE-HELP information booklet and I am aware of my obligations if I receive FEE-HELP assistance.
  • I understand that my debt with the Commonwealth will remain if I withdraw or cancel my enrolment after the census date but that it may be removed by my provider in special circumstances.
  • If I am reaching my FEE-HELP limit I understand that it is my responsibility to be aware of my FEE-HELP balance and to advise my provider(s) and VET provider if I am approaching the FEE-HELP limit and may not have enough FEE-HELP balance to cover my tuition fees.
  • I understand I will have to notify each provider (and VET provider) of how much FEE-HELP (or VET FEE-HELP) assistance I wish to access for my units of study.

Terms and Conditions

By submitting this form, you:

  • declare that:
    • you have read the FEE-HELP information booklet and are aware of your obligations if you receive FEE-HELP assistance.
    • the information on this form is complete and correct and you can produce documents to verify this if required.
  • request that:
    • the Government lends you the amount tuition fees outstanding at the census date (unless full upfront payment of your tuition fees is made) and pays the outstanding amount to your provider on your behalf.
    • Griffith College send your Commonwealth Assistance Notice via email, to both your student portal email and to your personal email address which you will keep updated through the Griffith College student portal.
  • understand that:
    • over your lifetime, the amount of FEE-HELP assistance (and VET FEE-HELP/VET Student Loans assistance) that you access must not exceed the FEE-HELP limit as set out in the Act.
    • if you undertake 8 or more units as part of a bachelor or above level qualification, or 4 or more units as part of a sub-bachelor qualification, you must pass at least 50% of these units to remain eligible for a FEE-HELP loan for this course at your provider. If you do not maintain this pass rate, you will need to pay your tuition fees upfront to continue in this course unless you are able to demonstrate to your provider that special circumstances apply.
    • a 25% loan fee wlll be applied to the FEE-HELP loan If it relates to an undergraduate course, and that this loan fee will be included as part of your accumulated HELP debt.
    • you are not eligible for FEE-HELP if a limit on the amount of FEE-HELP assistance available, number of students eligible for FEE-HELP, or the relevant modes of delivery has been placed on your provider ,or if, by offering FEE-HELP to you, the provider would exceed that limit.
    • you have an obligation to repay to the ATO the amount that the Government has loaned you, plus the loan fee if applicable, even if you do not complete your studies.
    • your debt to the Government will remain if you withdraw or cancel your enrolment from your course after the census date but your debt may be removed by your provider in special circumstances.
    • your Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debt will be indexed annually in line with the Act.
    • you are able to cancel this request, in writing at any time, with your provider, and it will no longer apply from that time. However, this must be done on or before the census date, otherwise you will have a debt to the Government that you are legally required to repay.
    • You must start repaying your HELP debt through the tax system once your income is above a certain level (the compulsory repayment threshold).

      The threshold is indexed annually. Repayments made through the Australian taxation system are called 'compulsory repayments'. In accordance with Chapter 4 of the Act, these repayments will continue while your income is above the compulsory repayment threshold until you have repaid your whole debt, even if you have not completed your studies and regardless of where you live.

      HELP debts are managed by the ATO. You can view your HELP debt, confirm your payment reference number and view payment options online. To do so, you need to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO's online services-find out how at: (

      For more information on repaying your HELP debt visit or phone 13 28 61 between 8.00 am and 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday AEST.